New Digs? Don’t Wait to Paint!
One of the very best times to do interior painting is when you’re moving into a new house or apartment, or even before you move in. I was recently reminded of this when my husband and I purchased a new home and started fixing it up. We took our normal tack and proceeded to paint before doing anything else. Here’s why we think it’s the smart thing to do:
- Painting is easier at this time. Interior painting is a pretty simple project when you can move about freely within a room. Why wait till later when you may have to grapple with heavy furniture or work around big items, expending extra energy in the process?
- Painting now saves time. Painting can take a lot longer when you have to move things back and forth, cover and uncover them, and take down and re-hang artwork. It’s better to paint first and short-circuit these time-consuming and unproductive chores.
- Painting now can save expense. If you’re using a professional painting contractor, he or she can complete the work far faster in rooms that are empty. That translates into a much lower cost for painting the space.
- Painting now safeguards furnishings. No matter how carefully you or your contractor work, there is always the chance of a paint spill, or at the very least, paint “spattering.” By painting before you bring your furnishings and rugs into the space, you avoid the risk that something will be damaged during the project.
- Painting now can simplify interior decorating. Don’t yet have your furnishings? There’s no better way to set the stage for your décor than by adding a fresh paint color scheme before decorating. It greatly simplifies the selection of new furniture, carpeting, and accents, allowing you to choose just the right tints and shades to make your home picture perfect.
- Painting now feels good. Adding a new coat of paint makes any home – whether brand new, or previously owned or occupied — feel cleaner, fresher, and much more welcoming. If you use top quality 100% acrylic latex paint, you’ll even get a more stain resistant finish that will keep looking clean and fresh for years to come.
- Painting is fun and exciting. Immediately painting your new home can add to the excitement of moving. With the wide range of paint colors and textured coatings available today, you can let your imagination run wild and completely personalize your new place. As you add one favorite color after another, the interior of your new home will become more and more a reflection of your own personal style.